Re: [OM] OM4 Damage Question

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4 Damage Question
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 23:36:28 +0000
Gary Edwards wrote:
>formerly airworthy Marine Corps Phantom.  The engineering estimate of terminal
>velocity was between 80 and 99 mph.  The OM-4 would be similar, taking 3.7 s
>or so to accelerate from zero to 80, requiring a cliff about 216 feet tall.
>How tall did this guy say he was?

>From the much longer message I sent off-list to the originator of this
thread (and posted here July '99 under "why you don't want to drop your OM"):

Assuming a table or waist level drop of about 1 meter
to the "hard" floor (concrete or hard tile over concrete?):

Terminal speed, 1 meter (~3+ foot) drop:  ~16 kph or ~10 MPH
Time to impact:  ~0.45 seconds
g forces at *point* of impact:  500 g's
(assumes uniform deceleration to 0 in .001 sec over .25mm or .01 inch distance)

The g forces on the point that strikes a "hard" floor are in the ballpark
of 300-500 g's based on our drop testing of packaging at work.  Now imagine
suddenly becoming a couple hundred times your weight in a millisecond, or
even 10 milliseconds.  ("Oh, the humanity!")

-- John