RE: [OM] OM Photos for your critique

Subject: RE: [OM] OM Photos for your critique
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 20:30:28 -0700
At 05:05 PM 1/18/00 -0500, Tobias Andersson wrote:

[snip]

>Seeing your pictures, I'm surprised that the rest of the list doesn't react!
>You have manipulated most of your pictures using Photoshop, right?
>For instance:
>http://caesar.bizland.com/places/stonebrdg.jpg
>http://caesar.bizland.com/places/stnbrdg.jpg
>These are both the same image, but edited with a program like Photoshop. The
>colored one has been changed quite a lot, I think.

Possibly not at all, actually -- it really does depend.  I can show you some
photos of the water colour in glacier lakes in Jasper National Park, and you'd
swear that the colour was artificial, yet rock flour in the water can produce
the most amazing blue-greens and turquoises you've ever seen.  I showed such a
picture to a friend back in Central Canada many years ago, and his reply was
"What's wrong with your film?"  ;-)

[snip]

>I think it's a bit unethical to edit the images like you do - without
>telling the audience, that what they are seeing, isn't the original, but a
>fake one.
>
>I like this image, but did it really look like this in the original version?
>http://caesar.bizland.com/places/ptwolfe.jpg
>I suspect that you have edited the saturation... Makes the image so much
>better. Lack of colour...

Again, I've seen real-life images in the Rockies and out on the West Coast of
Canada (or "the 'Wet' Coast," as we like to say here) that look *exactly* like
that, 'specially when those lovely maritime fronts roll off the ocean with
waves and waves of fog like an enormous wall of cotton candy...

Garth

"Q: What's long and hard on a Canadian?
  A: Winter."