RE: [OM] Wondering why...

Subject: RE: [OM] Wondering why...
From: "Ian A. Nichols" <I.A.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 13:52:02 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Harridge, Wayne wrote:

> Ian wrote:
> > To get an auto diaphragm to work in a shift
> > lens, some mechanism would have to be devised which would give a
> > circular motion compensated with a linear motion - and my brain hurts
> > just trying to think about it!
> >

> What might have been a relatively simple way of doing it would be to use the
> double cable release idea as used on the bellows.  I guess it's a bit late
> to suggest this to Olympus now though.

Ah, so that's how they do that.  I'd imagined some sort of telescoping
tube system inside the bellows for that.  Never seen one in the flesh,
obviously.

Hang on a minute, though, if I understand this correctly, the double
cable release system will only stop the lens down when the shutter is
released, which is only half the problem solved.  The other half is
telling the camera body what aperture has been set - how does that
happen?

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |
|  \-/| |  /  |                  i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxx                |
|             *                    iann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                  |