Re: [OM] Sunpack433 D / Vivitar 283 Qs

Subject: Re: [OM] Sunpack433 D / Vivitar 283 Qs
From: Robinsnes@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 19:59:41 EST
In a message dated 12/21/99 5:05:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Roger,
>  Are you sure you want to recommend overexposure?  I find that just the
>  opposite compensation works with my 433D and OM-2S. I almost always shoot
>  people in a room at -2/3 stop on the exp comp dial, otherwise the people
>  are nearly vaporized while the flash tries to brighten up the room behind.
>  The only time I've found it be useful to do a +1 stop compensation is in
>  taking pictures of my kids in the bathtub.

Absolutely...All of the negative films will often take as much as +3 through
+7 of overexposure, but they die with as little as -1 of underexposure. When
in doubt, overexpose the hell out of it and you will get a printable
negative. Transparency films often look better with a little
underexposure...but usually not a lot unless you are trying to expose for
some highlights to make a day scene look like night. Then -3 often looks
terrific.
I am totally confused by your comment above. Perhaps you are in a room with
highly reflectant walls, maybe everyone is dressed in white robes, ??????????
IMHO you shouldn't be getting images with exposures that thin.

Roger Skully
robinsnestphotography.com