[OM] Auto vs. Manual Fill (was "Sunpack433" etc.)

Subject: [OM] Auto vs. Manual Fill (was "Sunpack433" etc.)
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 1999 18:30:28 -0600
At 03:01 PM 12/25/1999 +0000, Dirk Wright wrote:
>With most sunpak flashes at least, you can choose normal auto, and set the
>film speed on the flash to a multiple of the actual film speed, this will
>give you "auto fill flash." If you are using 100 speed film, set the flash
>film speed setting to 200 for 1/2 power, 400 for 1/4 power, etc.

That would be a neat trick, but I don't believe that there is any "film
speed on the flash" changing capability.  The auto settings are merely some
variable portion of a full dump governed by a sensor.  The film speed
indicator on the flash locates the most useful stop for shooting within
that range.  The amount of light released and the sensor governing the
quenching of that release are not affected by changes in the film speed
indicator.

Did you mean, however, something like this:  choose auto setting X which
requires f8 at 100 ASA, change slider on flash to ASA 200 and note
specified stop (f11), select appropriate shutter speed (must be longer than
1/125) for f11, make the shot with that auto setting?  Seems like this
would work if the auto sensor were to force pretty much a full dump for
that sensor level.  I've had some success doing something similar with TTL
-- calculating what the manual full dump would be for my subject, then
closing down a stop and shooting in the camera's auto/TTL mode.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA