[OM] TTL vs. Manual Flash (was "Sunpack433" etc.)

Subject: [OM] TTL vs. Manual Flash (was "Sunpack433" etc.)
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 19:35:27 -0600
At 05:02 PM 12/22/1999 EST, you wrote:
snip

>    At worst, Joel, knowing how to use manual will make you a much better
>photographer when you do use TTL.
>    Happy Holidays
>
>Roger Skully

Errrm, I think I have not made myself very clear.  I am perfectly capable
of shooting manual flash.  This is not even the most significant way in
which I fail to be a better photographer.<g>

I don't want always to shoot manual flash. Not all situations are conducive
to manual flash. That's why I have a smart Olympus camera.  However, if one
uses TTL flash with slide film one must develop a sense of what conditions
will fool the flash.  Most of the time for the subjects I am interested in,
the meter tends to allow over-exposure. I compensate for this by using the
exp comp dial.  With negative film, I don't worry about it since a little
over-exposure is OK.

But I like to shoot slide film and when I use flash to do it I often use
TTL/OTF control.  I wish that I didn't have to use the exp comp dial so I
could completely concentrate on other things, but that's why it's there and
I think one has to learn to use it to get good results with TTL/OTF flash.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA