Re: [OM] Sunpack433 D / Vivitar 283 Qs

Subject: Re: [OM] Sunpack433 D / Vivitar 283 Qs
From: Robinsnes@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 11:34:08 EST
In a message dated 12/21/99 11:09:31 AM Eastern Standard Time,
bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Based on recommendations from the list I picked up a Sunpack 433D
>  from KEH. Unfortunately, there was no manual or original packaging,
>  so I have a couple of quick questions:
>
>  1) Is the blue asterisk setting for TTL Auto?
>  2) I assume the AC/HV setting is for powering the unit with AC. What
>  does HV stand for?
>  3) What is the significance of the marking at the 75 degree mark?
>
>  Does anyone have a manual for either the 433D or the 283 that they'd
>  be willing to copy and either fax or mail?
>
>  Thanks,

I do not have that model, however, I do have the 422D which I would assume
operates the same way. Sorry, no instruction book, but the flash is hardly a
complicated one.
The blue star indicates that you are on TTL (IMHO a useless setting). The
middle setting for the on/off switch (marked ac/hv) is for use when you use a
separate power pack other than the 4AA batteries, e.g., I use a Lumadyne
rapid cycle unit but I would assume Quantum and others work the same way. The
mark at 75 degrees appears to be for use of a bounce card, similar to the
lumiquest or other such gadgets (also useless IMHO). Perhaps an email to the
Tocad site could supply the answer.
I like the Sunpak units because they can be used on manual power with greater
ease than most others. TTL has never worked well for me, and the other auto
ranges usually require evaluations of reflectance levels (so does TTL) which
is totally unnecessary when using manual and setting it for the distance
used. Also, IMHO and according the Seconic meter I use, Sunpak (and most
other units) overestimate the power of their units by about a full stop. If
you are using negative films, it won't hurt. If you use transparencies, meter
it and then do your usual pattern of bracketing.
I've enjoyed your posts...I'll bet you play a great horn.

Roger Skully
robinsnestphotography.com