Re: [OM] 35-70 mm F3.5~4.8 ZUIKO?

Subject: Re: [OM] 35-70 mm F3.5~4.8 ZUIKO?
From: DSJKALLEN@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 09:52:12 EST
I recently acquired a new OM2000, and although both the body and the lens is
manufactured by Cosina, both seem to work quite well.  The OM2000 is an
impressive body for the price.  Obviously, it has a number of plastic bits
and pieces, especially the rather flimsy feeling self-timer lever.  But, in
over 33 years of using mechanical, manual SLRs, I don't think I've used the
self-timer feature over 25 times in that period, so it might not be a concern
after all.

The first roll of film I shot through the OM2000 with the 35-70mm F3.5-4.8
was Fuji Superia 800 at Disney World.  I purposely shot everything at F8 or
F11, and the results are actually very good.  In viewing the 4 x 6 prints
with a loupe the focus and resolution of everything from foreground to
background is very acceptable.  Yes, it may not be an Olympus-built constant
aperture zoom like the old F3.6, but it is not that bad either in real world
use.

In my opinion, the OM2000 "kit" at $199.00 to $239.00 street price is one of
the best values on the market today.  It makes a perfect camera for everyday
use, along with my other OMs.  We just have to get over the fact that it
didn't come out of the Olympus factory.  After all, the new Voigtlander
Bessa-L is also manufactured by Cosina, and it seems to be a reasonably well
respected system.

Don