[OM] OM vs. Rangefinders

Subject: [OM] OM vs. Rangefinders
From: "sam" <salex@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 09:42:57 -0500
Doug Cooper wrote

<<. . .I'm not even sure that's enough to make me want the Leica.  I used a
Hexar for years -- sold it when I invested in OM stuff -- and if I were to
return to rangefinder equipment, I would look seriously at the Contax G2
system.

Optically, the Contax outpeforms the Leica at virtually every focal length
(with the possible exception of the wildly expensive 100mm macro from
Leitz).>>

While the G2 is a fine camera, IMO it is not really a true rangefinder, as
is the Leica M.  As far as outperforming the Leica glass. . .that's a pretty
strong statement. I doubt if the Contax 90 can outperform the current 90mm
APO-M, even wide open at 2.0! (the 100mm macro  is a reflex lens). And I
seriously doubt that the Contax 35mm outperforms the Summicron ASP 2.0.
Yes, the Leica glass is expensive. In most cases, justifyably so:
quality, performance and resale value.  However, I prefer the Olympus OM4T
system over the Leica R system by a wide margin. Smaller, lighter, fantastic
metering, etc.

Sam Alexander