Re: [OM] Ebay

Subject: Re: [OM] Ebay
From: "george" <geanders@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 13:04:04 -0800

>But I still never bid on something unless I plan on buying it. If I'm
curious
>about what something goes for I'll just bookmark it and look at it after
the
>auction is over. It helps me to resist the temptaion to bid thousands of
>dollars on a whole bunch of stuff, most of which I already have. It's
amazing
>how tempting that can be! <g>
>
>Paul Schings

This is my policy as well. Seems pretty simple to me.  And I only bid if I
plan to buy the thing.  Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Unlike Chip, Dirk was saying he'd place a bid if he's "pretty sure he'll be
outbid because he 'knows' the value of the item (unlike the rest of us
uninformed bidders I guess) and then there's no harm"  Well, to me that says
he must bidding pretty high if he can only be "pretty sure" he'll be outbid.
EG: instead of bidding $23 on an item presently at $22, maybe he bids $90
cause he's "pretty sure" it'll go for $100.  Well, he's pretty well assured
that it will rise quite a bit in price because whenever a bidder tries to
enter a bid, he'll be automatically outbid by Dirk's $90 bid.  No one can
purchase this item for a 'bargain' price because Dirk's bid will keep
driving the price up to just below his percieved value. Now this is a fine
technique if you really want the item and are willing to pay no more than
$90, but to do it just to track the item is the same as being a shill for
the seller.

George