Re: [OM] Ebay

Subject: Re: [OM] Ebay
From: GMA <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 09:25:23 -0800

Dirk Wright wrote:

> If you *know* what the thing sells for usually, and you are fairly
> certain that you will be outbid, then there is no harm in bidding below
> what the usual price is.

This is what I was talking about when I addressed a previous message of
yours implying that this is what you do.  What is your method of logic
which allows you to say there's *no harm* in bidding when you have *no
intention* of buying?  There is harm in this - to other bidders who
approach the auction with a bit more integrity. You are driving up the
cost of the item for no other reason than your own amusement.  Do you
think real buyers want to pay your 'usual' price or more?  They're
looking to pick up the item for as little as possible.  YOU are acting
like a shill for the seller.  Have you thought of trying this tactic at
a local car dealership?

George