Re: [OM] Ebay

Subject: Re: [OM] Ebay
From: "Dirk Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 15:57:26 Set the time zone in the Time preference utility
>This is what I was talking about when I addressed a previous message
of
>yours implying that this is what you do.  What is your method of logic
>which allows you to say there's *no harm* in bidding when you have *no
>intention* of buying?  There is harm in this - to other bidders who
>approach the auction with a bit more integrity.

as I have said previously, I would of course pay for the item *if* I
were the high bidder. I would never bid on something that I would not
like to have.

You are driving up the
>cost of the item for no other reason than your own amusement.  Do you
>think real buyers want to pay your 'usual' price or more?  They're
>looking to pick up the item for as little as possible.  YOU are acting
>like a shill for the seller.  Have you thought of trying this tactic
at
>a local car dealership?

Calm down George, I am not a shill. The usual price is simple to
determine on ebay. When you do a search, and you find something that
you like, but don't know what the usual price is, you can simply search
on "completed auctions". There you will find the range that the item *
usually* sells for and you can base your bidding accordingly. If you're
hoping for deal, then bid below the usual price. If you want to just
follow the bidding, then bid *way* below the price, knowing that
someone will most likely outbid you. If they don't then you get a deal.

In reserve auctions, there is absolutely no harm (?) in bidding below
the reserve price. You concept of "harm" is very confusing to me.

Remind me to look for items you bid on so I can "harm" you by bidding
up the price. <g>

Dirk Wright