Re: [OM] Ebay

Subject: Re: [OM] Ebay
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 13:37:15 EST
In a message dated 12/1/99 1:05:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> This is what I was talking about when I addressed a previous message of
>  yours implying that this is what you do.  What is your method of logic
>  which allows you to say there's *no harm* in bidding when you have *no
>  intention* of buying?  There is harm in this - to other bidders who
>  approach the auction with a bit more integrity. You are driving up the
>  cost of the item for no other reason than your own amusement.  Do you
>  think real buyers want to pay your 'usual' price or more?  They're
>  looking to pick up the item for as little as possible.  YOU are acting
>  like a shill for the seller.  Have you thought of trying this tactic at
>  a local car dealership?

While in principle I agree with George, as a practical matter a small
incremental bid that is still below reserve (which apparently is the
situation we are discussing here) isn't going to make a difference one way or
the other in regards to the final selling price.

But I still never bid on something unless I plan on buying it. If I'm curious
about what something goes for I'll just bookmark it and look at it after the
auction is over. It helps me to resist the temptaion to bid thousands of
dollars on a whole bunch of stuff, most of which I already have. It's amazing
how tempting that can be! <g>

Paul Schings