Re: [OM] And the Winner is...

Subject: Re: [OM] And the Winner is...
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 19:43:41 +0200
Charles Loeven schrieb:

> The one most compelling reason I was looking for a new system was that I
> felt I needed auto focus.

There is nothing bad to have an camera focusing automaticaly.

> The one most compelling reason for not getting into a new system is auto
> focus.

Yes, most AF bodies and lenses force to much compromise up to you.
It´s not like AUTO and MANUAL mode with an OM-4Ti. Switching to MANUAL
makes the OM-4Ti an manual cameras as good (or better) as an OM-1.
Unlike an AF body were switching of the AF creates a lot of trouble. The
focusing screen is to bright to focus on, it misses additional focusing
aids and the focusing indicator is to nervously flackering. The lenses
are to loose, have to small focusing rings, have a too high pitch in the
focusing gear to be focused precisly by hand.

> Folks, try before you buy.

I would add, think if you _realy_ need AF.

Check your photos:

- Could they have been improved by using AF?
- How are your photographing conditions, would they restrict AF use?
  (for example, obstacles in front of the object, object is moving to
fast)
- How many of the photos could have benefit from AF?
- Would an different different manual focusing technique help?

Regards

Richard