Re: [OM] Digital 'dis & 'dat

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital 'dis & 'dat
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 10:42:13 -0700
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>

I am using a Minolta DiMage Dual scanner with a non-Adaptec PCI card, on, gasp,
a PC. Probably Minolta takes the position that they can't test every card thru
multiple configurations, so why try?

Not at all to start a platform war, and I concede that there are advantages to the Wintel hegemony, but one of the advantages to Macs is the vendor-provided SCSI (older models) and/or USB and/or FireWire (new models).

Denton is right -- SCSI (USB, FireWire) peripheral vendors cannot possibly test every combination of available card and system in the PC world, but such testing is relatively straightforward in the Mac world.

But don't take my word for it, monitor some of the mailing lists that deal with peripherals. The PC people are struggling with questions like, "How do I get my "abc" computer working with my "def" SCSI card and my "xyz" scanner?" The Mac people are asking more abstract questions like, "How can I achieve this affect with my "xyz" scanner?" They take basic connectivity for granted.

SCSI is probably peaking, but it looks like Macs are leading the way with other technologies, also. The scanner mailing list I listen to is full of PC types cursing USB, while the Mac types are just using it. I also expect Apple's lead with FireWire will also hold true for quite a while. (After all, it took years after the Mac with integrated sound first appeared for PCs to be routinely sold with well-integrated, working sound I/O.)

Redmond is getting better, but you are still expected to be a system integrator to get a lot of PC peripherals working properly.

Again, please don't start a platform war -- this is just an observation. There are certainly Wintel users who will testify to no problems with cards and peripherals, but statistically, they are few.

PCs obviously have other redeeming qualities, but ease of peripheral integration is still not high on the list.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>