Re: [OM] Film Storage

Subject: Re: [OM] Film Storage
From: Ingemar Uvhagen <ingemar.uvhagen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 17:12:05 +0200
Alex.Hughes@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I've started buying film in larger quantities from Jersey, as it's very cheap,
> and was wondering on the merits of "chilled storage" (ie putting them in a box
> in the fridge).
>
> How effective is this?

Alex,
The point with putting the film(s) in the fridge or the freezer, is to slow down
the aging process.
I can't tell how much longer you can keep the film after the "process before"
date
when stored in a fridge or freezer, but it is like everything you store cold -
it
is "fresh" longer than stored in room temperature.

What I do, is that I put *every* film in the freezer. Then, before I use the
film,
I put it in the fridge to "warm" it up a bit. Sometimes I just put it in room
temp.

*Note:* If you do store a film in a freezer (the best way) or a fridge, keep the
film inside the original plastic container! *This is very important* that you do
so. The reason is that the films are made and packed under moisture free
conditions, and if you open that original plastic container you will let
moisture
in. If you then freeze the film, you might destroy (when freezing) the film
layers
because of the moisture. If you fridge the film, you might get moisture that
stay
on the film and cause some non wanted effects when you are shooting.

> Is it different for different types of film?

I don't think so. I freeze all my films. No problem.

> Are there any special considerations (ie can it be too cold? or
> could the film be tainted by food products?).

No worries at all, as long as you don't open the original plastic container!

Happy freezing! [I mean the film, not you...] ;-)

--
Regards/
  Ingemar Uvhagen