Re: [OM] Film Storage

Subject: Re: [OM] Film Storage
From: Ingemar Uvhagen <ingemar.uvhagen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 20:40:31 +0200
*- DORIS FANG -* wrote:

>    Are you using pro emulsions, or amateur ? If you are freezing the
> latter, you are probably cheating yourself out of optimum color, believe
> it or not. You should "age" the film to at least 1/2 way from the date you
> bought it, assuming it is fresh film, then freeze it. The color will be
> better.

Ms Fang,
I have been (actually still am) involved in a thread about slide films in a
Swedish newsgroup, and we have been talking about what you just wrote (above).

A few times a year I call a guy at Fujifilm in Sweden to talk films - slide
films (Fuji). Not long ago, I happen to talk to another guy (still at Fujifilm
Sweden) who said that there are no real difference between "professional" and
"amateur" films. Nor are here no need at all to store (age) a film to increase
colors or anything. In fact, this kind of thing could successfully be done on
films during the 1960's. Today, the effect that the aging did, is now kind of
included in the manufacturing of the film. It sounds strange perhaps, but he
said it is a whole different manufacturing process today than it was years ago
when aging a film would improve the film's quality (characteristics).

Also, the difference between a "professional" slide film and a "amateur" slide
film, is nearly non. All Fujichromes are manufactured from the same
ingredients, the same process etc. He said though, that the only *theoretical*
difference is that the base of a "pro" film is *slightly* more dense, which
would resist fogging of film better than the "amateur" film. But he interposed
that this has no real meaning in practice.
He also said, that if you take one "pro" and one "amateur" film, and do a
direct comparison, you will see no difference between them.

May I quote some from the Fujifilm FAQ for pros? Thanks!
Quote:
"Fujichrome emulsions' initial aging is excellent so no ripening is
    needed. Fuji Film's tight control on quality eliminates the need to
    select one emulsion over another for purposes of labeling it as a
    professional product vs. an amateur product."
End quote.

The FAQ: http://www.fujifilm.com/home/faqsfact/proidxfq.htm
The link to the specific question (the difference between "amateur" and "pro"
films) is at http://www.fujifilm.com/home/faqsfact/proamfil.htm

So, the final, and point, is that there are no need for "aging" a film - no
matter if it is a "professional" or "amateur" film.

As you can see, I am talking about Fujichromes. Slide films from Agfa or
Kodak, I cannot tell - know too little.

--
Regards/
  Ingemar Uvhagen