Re: [OM] Film Storage

Subject: Re: [OM] Film Storage
From: Brian Windrim <brian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 14:57:03 +0100 (BST)
George M. Anderson and Charles Loeven variously wrote:

> >Sounds like Fuji is ripping us off then, selling pro film at a higher
> price.
>
> >George
>
> And which consumer emulsion is the same as Provia and Velvia?
>
> Charlie L.
>
> I believe Sensia = Provia? Velvia has none. I dunno for sure.
>
>George

Sensia I 100 (RD) was equivalent to Provia 100 (RDP or RDPII)

Sensia II 100 (RA) is equivalent to Astia 100 (RAP)

When Provia F appears they *might* switch back for Sensia III (pure
speculation on my part).

A reason why there is no consumer version of Velvia may be that it has
more pitfalls than most slide films on account of its high contrast
and extreme colour. Marking it as 'For professional use' may serve as
Fuji's way of saying 'don't come crying to us if you don't know what
you're doing with this stuff'.

And yes, they probably also like the higher price they can charge for
it as a pro emulsion. But one of the things you (should) get for that
is some degree of assurance that the makers aren't going to
discontinue it at short notice and without providing a suitable
equivalent (as Kodak did with both Royal Gold 25 and Ektachrome 50,
neither of which existed in pro versions).

It takes much longer to discontinue a pro film, that makes them more
expensive (to manufacture) in the long run.

-Brian