Re: [OM] New OM-1N and battery problem

Subject: Re: [OM] New OM-1N and battery problem
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 22:55:29 -0700
From: "George M. Anderson" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Jan Steinman wrote:

> ... That gas-hog
> SUV you bought when gas was $0.99 a gallon won't be such a deal when
> gas costs as much as it does in Europe today -- $3 to $4 a gallon.

Oh, gawd, not another anti-SUV Storm Trooper

No, just an anti-subsidized gas Storm Trooper!

Detroit used to say they couldn't make passenger cars that got 27.5 mpg, but Congress said, "Thou Shalt." But Detriot said, "Please exempt the piddly 120f working trucks from Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards, so farmers and ranchers won't go bankrupt." Then the automakers began to exploit the CAFE loopholes by building high-powered passenger vehicles that fit the definition of "truck," to the point that nearly 1 of every 2 vehicles sold today are exempt from federal fuel efficiency standards for passenger vehicles. The average SUV milage is currently only 14 mpg. I am not making this up!

They could make fuel-efficient SUVs if they wanted to, or if consumers demanded it, which they would if US gasoline cost as much as it does in the rest of the world -- THAT was my point!

Is there something in the water here? One person thinks I'm anti-military, the next thinks I'm anti-SUV? I've got to get better at making my point before I alienate everyone on this list... :-)

FWIW: I drive a sort-of SUV that gets 30mpg on the highway. I even pulled a 16' camping trailer 1000 miles with it last week, and still got over 22 mpg, while maintaining the speed limit over all the mountain passes. It can be done, but consumers won't demand it while gasoline is artificially priced low.

Future historians will look back and exclaim, "Petroleum was such a useful raw material -- why did they burn it all up?" :-)

Obligatory sort-of Olympus content: when we burn up all the petroleum, they'll have to once again make cameras out of metal, and the single-digit OM bodies will again be in style! :-)

: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>