Re: [OM] tripods and outdoor macros

Subject: Re: [OM] tripods and outdoor macros
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 22:19:56 -0700
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Jan Steinman wrote:

>That's the tecnique I used in
><http://www.bytesmiths.com/Art_Gallery/4835_Medium.jpg>. It is
>particularly easy to do if you have inverted your tripod column to
>get closer to the ground, as the "normal" end of the tripod becomes
>your tent post.

So the thorn picture is upside down then with shadow on top under a light tent?

Gee, Winsor -- I never gave it much thought! It's delightful to learn something about your own stuff from someone else! :-)

I'm pretty sure the thorn is depicted in its "natural" position. I remember struggling with everything to get the poppy behind the thorn.

I suspect the top shadow is due to shading from the tripod, and the bottom highlight is diffused light from the white sheet.

This was done with the Zuiko 50/3.5, so I had to get pretty close. The reproduction ratio probably exceeds 1:1. So there was probably shading from the lens and bellows as well as the tripod.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>