[OM] Metering Grad ND Filters

Subject: [OM] Metering Grad ND Filters
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 13:23:09 -0500
Oly Shooters:

I was recently given a set of graduated neutral density filters, also
sometimes called split filters.  I am interested in how those of you
especially with OM-2S, OM-3(x), or OM-4(x) bodies use the meter with these.
 I expect to use these to retain foreground detail when photographing
sunrises or sunsets.

I usually get acceptable results photographing early or late sun by
metering to the side of the sun in auto on the OM-2S and then switching to
manual and using the values indicated in the auto reading.  Alternatively,
I take a spot reading of the blue or red in the sky (if available) about 30
degrees above the sun and  set this as a middle value and go.  If possible
I do both systems and compare. Bracket for safety.

I asked the person who gave me these filters how he determines exposure
with them.  I was surprised that with his wonderbrick he simply sets up the
shot, positions the filter, takes a center-weighted averaged reading, and
shoots -- with very good results.

I was thinking that especially with the OM-3(x) or OM-4(x) there might be
some interesting alternatives using multi-spot readings or highlight/shadow
averaging.  On the other hand, going with a center-weighted averaged
reading would certainly be a snap for me, and the logic as to why it would
work makes sense.

Anybody?

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA