Re: [OM] Metering Grad ND Filters

Subject: Re: [OM] Metering Grad ND Filters
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 03:05:16 EDT

> I was recently given a set of graduated neutral density filters, also
>  sometimes called split filters.  I am interested in how those of you
>  especially with OM-2S, OM-3(x), or OM-4(x) bodies use the meter with these.
>   I expect to use these to retain foreground detail when photographing
>  sunrises or sunsets.

I assume that you were given a set of the fixed in filter ring type and not
the rectangular or square Cokin types. I agree that this presents a problem
with spot metering. With the Cokin type you can just slide the filter around
and take a spot reading in the dark area and then move it and take a spot of
the lighter area. But with the fixed filter, this is nearly impossible so I
just use averaging like is used to with the OM1. An averaging meter will
always bias toward the brighter part of the scene so if the main area is
there you won't have a problem. But if the main subject in in the darker part
you should open up some and bracket.

Warren

Warren