Re: [OM] Film scanner on the cheap?

Subject: Re: [OM] Film scanner on the cheap?
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 03:00:25 EDT
Chuck wrote:

<< It occured to me that one might be able to produce a "film scanner" very
 cheaply by:  using a very inexpensive flat bed scanner and projecting the
image...  >>

Although I have not *done* this I did do a little investigation preparatory
to doing this some time back. I was wanting to copy micro-fische which
requires even greater enlargement.  (OM content: I use a OM 1.8/50 mm loupe
for quick and dirty viewing of fische!)
     You would need to disable the scanner lamp temporarily either by
covering with metal foil  or by removing the lead on one end. This might
cause overvoltage on the lamp invertor running open circuit ,although if
properly designed should not cauase damage ( lamp failure should be a common
eventual occurrence). Thus a resistor in its place might be necessary. Since
the lamps, at least on my UMAX scanner, are meant to be replaceable it should
be reasonably accessible.
       A second issue is the brightness: a regular enlarger may not be bright
enough. You might have to use a slide projector. I tried to test if I could
see the lamp of a very bright flashlight placed on the scanner bed. It was
visible but clearly those cold cathode lamps in the scanner are very bright.

I would be interested to hear of anybody who has actually done this too?

Regards,
Tim Hughes