Re: [OM] Film scanner on the cheap?

Subject: Re: [OM] Film scanner on the cheap?
From: "Keith (R.K.) Berry" <keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 23:29:36 +0100
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
>...using a very inexpensive flat bed scanner and projecting the image of a
>slide onto the scanner surface with a slide projector or enlarger...
This idea occurred to me a few months ago when I got my first working
flatbed and I put a similarly worded question to a scanner newsgroup, but
there were no replies. I thought about using greaseproof paper to focus upon
and got as far as dragging out my old UPA enlarger and putting the scanner
on the baseboard. Even projecting at full aperture there was not a trace of
an image from the scanner and I tried just about all possible combinations
in the scanner software.
There is a useful looking site (www.scantips.com ?) where I read that with
some flatbeds it's possible to replace the scanner lamp fairly easy. I took
the glass off and went looking for a way of disconnecting the lamp so that
it may read only the transmitted image but I couldn't find a connection (I
have a Microtek Phantom 636) to disconnect.
If I'd had *some* kind of result I'd have tried to use a projector for a
brighter image, maybe by taping the paper to the glass and using the scanner
on its side, but I have very little space to try it and it would involve a
lot of reorganisation of gear.

Regards,
Keith Berry (Birmingham, England)
keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx