Re: [OM] Film scanner on the cheap?

Subject: Re: [OM] Film scanner on the cheap?
From: Alex.Hughes@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 16:36:21 +0100

Dosen't a scanner need to "bounce" light onto something to read it's
reflection/absorbtion...this would require a reflective/absorbant surface rather
than additional light being passed into the scanner. Maybe if you could disable
it's light output...? who knows, but I don' think it's that easy.

Alex Hughes

It occured to me that one might be able to produce a "film scanner" very
cheaply by:

using a very inexpensive flat bed scanner and projecting the image of a
slide onto the scanner surface with a slide projector or enlarger. The
imaging surface would have to be a ground glass or other opaque surface
and might be achieved simply by grinding the existing glass with a very
fine grit.

Anybody ever try something like this.  Is it workable or a dumb idea?
Could it be as simple as taping a piece of waxed paper over the glass to
form the imaging surface?  I'd try it if I had a scanner.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA

Important Email Information

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged.It
is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is
unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,
distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended addressee please
contact the sender and dispose of this e-mail.