Re: [OM] Film scanner on the cheap?

Subject: Re: [OM] Film scanner on the cheap?
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 05:11:26 EDT
In a message dated 9/20/99 2:12:54 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Wayne.Harridge@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Putting ground glass, paper etc. between the scanner and the slide/neg will
 always degrade the quality.

Wayne,
           I think we agree with your sentiments here but I believe the
difficulty in eliminating the ground glass etc is that the scanner has its
own optical system. This focuses the image plane of the glass to the CCD
linear array. Adding another lens is like combining two lenses where you
don't have much control over exactly where you can put one lens in relation
to the other lens and to the CCD "film plane".   To make it work you would
probably need to add something like a supplemental lens at the scanner's lens
system entrance aperture not away from it somewhere in front of where it is
focussed.

Just my two cents, especially as I have not looked at the imaging system of
these cheap scanners.

An interesting feature claimed by some of the newer scanners is greater depth
of field for "photgraphing" 3D objects. I use my old scanner for all sorts of
documentation of small parts and OM camera dissassembly (OM content!) so It
would be nice if this really has improved. (Rather than a marketing
discovered  improvement.) A particularly useful camera disassembly use is to
record wire colors before desoldering to remove a circuit board.

Tim Hughes
Hi100@xxxxxxx