RE: [OM] Film scanner on the cheap?

Subject: RE: [OM] Film scanner on the cheap?
From: "Harridge, Wayne" <Wayne.Harridge@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 07:34:04 -0400
Tim wrote:

>            I think we agree with your sentiments here but I
> believe the
> difficulty in eliminating the ground glass etc is that the
> scanner has its
> own optical system. This focuses the image plane of the glass
> to the CCD
> linear array. Adding another lens is like combining two
> lenses where you
> don't have much control over exactly where you can put one
> lens in relation
> to the other lens and to the CCD "film plane".   To make it
> work you would
> probably need to add something like a supplemental lens at
> the scanner's lens
> system entrance aperture not away from it somewhere in front
> of where it is
> focussed.
>
> Just my two cents, especially as I have not looked at the
> imaging system of
> these cheap scanners.

Me neither - Sumgai should try it, unfortunately I don't have the time at
the moment.

> An interesting feature claimed by some of the newer scanners
> is greater depth
> of field for "photgraphing" 3D objects. I use my old scanner
> for all sorts of
> documentation of small parts and OM camera dissassembly (OM
> content!) so It
> would be nice if this really has improved. (Rather than a marketing
> discovered  improvement.) A particularly useful camera
> disassembly use is to
> record wire colors before desoldering to remove a circuit board.

Yes, I have used my flatbed for similar stuff, e.g. placing my Zuikos front
element facing down and recording the data from the lens retaining ring,
small model cars and various other bits.  Might also be useful for macro of
flowers, bugs, etc.

Wayne Harridge
Ivanhoe, Victoria, Australia
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Louvre/6152/