Re: [OM] T32 for macro

Subject: Re: [OM] T32 for macro
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 21:17:30 EDT
In a message dated 09/14/1999 6:20:09 PM EST, giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> I've seen this suggestion before on the list.  Is that only one layer of
>  plastic between the flash and subject?  Gregg

>  Mike Stoesz wrote:

>  > Another alternative: use a 1/2 gal or gal. translucent milk jug--

    I'm probably the one whose posting you saw. My use is for a softer light
for portraits. I imagine it's very similar to the Sto-Fen Omni Bounce. Say
your flash tube is 1 1/2" high by 3" wide. I'd cut a strip of the milk jug 2"
high by 5" wide. I'd make it "U" shaped- (so it's not flat against the flash
tube, heat being my concern)- it'll stick out in front of the tube, about 1".
 Some flash light will "leak" out around the plastic, that's OK, as it's not
going directly out front and directly on the subject. I use approx. 1/8"
thick foam tape that has glue on both sides to stick the ends of the plastic
to the sides of the flash.  It's not too difficult to remove, and, In my
experience, *generally* the glue doesn't stay stuck to the flash when you
remove the tape, and that type of glue doesn't seem to stain or harm the
finish in any way. Another way would be to use Velcro squares. I think you'll
lose *about* 1 1/2 stops of light from the flash.

    Regards,
    George S.