Re: [OM] Loosing last frames on E6...

Subject: Re: [OM] Loosing last frames on E6...
From: Acer Victoria <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 18:18:51 -0700 (PDT)
>>>One good thing about manual rewind cameras like our OMs, you can tell
if the film has caught on the spool or not, so there is no need to shoot
40 frames on top of each other. I feed the leader just into the spool,
close the back, and wind on one shot. Then I use the rewind to take up all
the slack, so when I wind on again I can tell if it slips because the
rewind won't rotate. It has become an automatic habit, and it's years now
since I had a misfeed.<<<

I take up the slack /before/ feeding the leader into the take-up spool. At
the end of the 98 school year, I was shooting my sister's play. Knowing I
had one or two more shots left, I knew I couldn't make it the the next
scene change. So I changed rolls there. Had the sense to use the rewind
knob to see if film was loaded or not in the pitch dark.... It wasn't. So
reload, blow the first few exposures that were fogged, and voila. If it
wasn't for that cross-check, ugh, would've pissed of a lot of people <G>

Auto cameras too must have some method to either make sure the film is
loaded (APS) or an audible or visual cue to let you know the film did or
did not load. Of course, they automagically advance three shots at the
beginning...and some will stop promptly at 24 or 36 or 12, as per the
DX-coding.

/Acer "steppenwolf" Victoria
--
"Nothing left to win / And nothing else to lose."               --U2