Re: [OM] T32 for macro -Reply

Subject: Re: [OM] T32 for macro -Reply
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 11:05:34 +0200
: That seems odd to me, unless you are keeping the T20 well away from the
: subject. Even with the T10 ring flash, 1/4 as powerful as the T20, I can get
: proper subject exposures with Velvia at ASA 50 using the 80mm at full
extension
: on the telescopic auto tube, and an indicated f22 (which is actually f44 at
: that magnification, I think).

Dedicated macro flashes concentrate the light better on the subject; with normal
flashes like the T20 or T32 most of the output is lost because the light,
covering the angle of 35/24mm lenses, is not aimed at the subject or hits the
lens or extension tube instead, even when mounted on a bracket or tripod. So the
given GN's of normal flashes are reduced with macro flash photography. When
using the Auto Bellows at the highest extension with the 20mm macro, stopped
down to F16, sometimes even four T32 flashes (GN 64m. for normal photography!!!)
won't be sufficient because most of the light is lost whilst the T28 or T10
macro flash will do the job. To use the T32 or T20 more efficiently for very
high magnifications you could build a light tent (using the reflected light) or
build some kind of tube on the flash head to concentrate the light (spot-flash).
You'ld still miss the modelling lights, though :-0  - nothing but the real
thing.
>From my experience the T32 works good with the 135mm or 80mm macro's on the
telescopic tube or Bellows, can still be used with the 38mm macro but is very
unpractical with the 20mm macro. With the 135mm macro stopped to F22 on the tube
at maximum extension I prefer the Metz 40 MZ-2 with zoomed flash head (GN 46m)
because here the T32 has reached its limits unless you use the Zoom Adapter.

hnz