Re: Sunny 16 (was "Initial lens? Re: [OM] Camera for beginner")

Subject: Re: Sunny 16 (was "Initial lens? Re: [OM] Camera for beginner")
From: John Hudson <jahudson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 21:34:38 -0700
At 08:22 PM 30-08-99 -0500, Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>On a clear, sunny day, probably between about 10 AM and 3 PM, exposure
>required should be f16 + 1/ASA of your film (roughly).  E.g., Velvia would
>= 1/60 @f16, Provia = 1/125 @16.
>
>Exceptions to Sunny 16 are bright snow and bright sand, which creates "more
>light" through reflection, etc.  F22 + 1/ASA is the rule in these
>situations. Your meter will tell you to stop down to F32 (or equivalent).

The sunny 16 rule surely is based upon an incident light reading. A
reflected light reading off bright snow or sand would result in an
approximate one and a half to two stop under exposure as compared to the
sunny 16 rule.

I disagree that f22 @ 1/ASA is appropriate. This would result in an almost
two stop underexposure resulting in the brightly illuminated snow looking
very grey. I have always opened up two stops from the reflected readings in
bright snow conditions and have always had properly exposed photos.

jh