Re: [OM] Looking for tripod advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Looking for tripod advice
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 13:50:36 EDT

> It needs to be a sturdy device that is able to double as the support for
>  a spotting scope.  If possible, I'd also like it to be able to get the
>  camera near ground level for macro shots of tiny flowers, etc.

The Bogen/Manfrotto tripods are good in that they will go very low to the
ground, making them good for macro shots. You'll have to take out one section
of the center column so you can do this.

> I've seriously considered the Bogen 3221W ("wilderness tripod")
> with a 3029 head.

In a step ahead for Bogen, consider the 3205G which has snap down leg locks
like the Slik tripods. The leg tubes are the same size as the 3001 series so
it's not as heavy duty as the 3011 series. These have the advantage of not
catching of brush like the twist locks.

The 3221 has been my main tripod for 5 years and I've been very happy with
it. The next step is carbon fibre with magnesium head (but that's  a whole
new topic).