[OM] Looking for tripod advice

Subject: [OM] Looking for tripod advice
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 06:34:48 -0400
Hi list,
After 30 years of cheapo tripods I've finally decided that I should get
something decent.  Only problem is that I don't know what I should get.
It needs to be a sturdy device that is able to double as the support for
a spotting scope.  If possible, I'd also like it to be able to get the
camera near ground level for macro shots of tiny flowers, etc.  I have
an Oly bellows that I've had for many years but have almost never used
because I've nothing that can support it well.  Maybe I should give up
on the bellows and gets some tubes?

I've seriously considered the Bogen 3221W ("wilderness tripod") with a
3029 head.  However, I've never used one and don't really know if it
meets my requirements or not.  I am totally unfamiliar with different
tripod heads and accessories.  The Bogen "side arm" looks interesting
but after Gary's lens tests I wonder about the results one can achieve
with gangly looking camera supports.

Anyhow, I'll appreciate any and all advice which could well include that
I'm looking for too much versatility from a single tripod.

Thanks,
Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts