Re: [OM] Looking for tripod advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Looking for tripod advice
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 18:04:41 -0700 (PDT)

Keith Berry wrote:
>I sometimes like grovelling about in woodland, especially around September,
>doing ground level macros and I have a small case fitted out for the
>purpose. It mainly contains a ground spike with B&S head, a length of nylon
>cord (for hauling the ground spike out again), a split-field magnifier, a
>pair of strap-on knee pads and my Varimagni, which I never think to use for
>anything else.

That is a wonder of rationality and thoughtfulness. I am sure you get some
great shots.

I think that ability for a tripod to get low for macro by spreading its
legs is not so great.  I have looked at the Bogen and the Benbo in the
store and they are quite springy with legs spread wide, not solid at all as
they are when they are closer to the equilateral triangle position for
their legs.  You are probably better off with either a specialized tripod
or a system like Keith's or a bean bag on a rock while holding it.

I also think that center posts are not great for the same reason. They make
a nice pendulum with camera and lens attached.  That seems to me an even
greater weakness of the Benbo with its offset arm support for the tripod
head which is even more likely to bounce than a center post.

I would suggest two tripods, both uncomfortably heavy,  one for normal
shooting and one for macro.

Winsor

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA