Re: [OM] Looking for tripod advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Looking for tripod advice
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 00:28:13 +0000
I have a Benbo and I think you are missing the point somewhat.  Firstly,
absolute
rigidity is not required, nor is it achievable except with a concrete pillar.

I know John Gardner used to use his 350mm f2.8 on a Benbo and now uses an even
larger Nikkor on a Unilock, a child of the Benbo in terms of construction and
modus
operandi.

To get low for a macro shot with a Benbo you do not need to splay the legs out
wide,
you can flip the legs over so the central arm is beneath the legs which can be
arranged, terrain and other obstacles allowing, in a stable equilateral
configuration.  The column and camera are now supported beneath the apex of the
legs.   Whats more, the offset arm is free to move side to side as well as up
and
down so you have more freedom of positioning than a tripod with a fixed central
column.

I grant you that with the central arm extended out to the side it will be a
less
stable configuration than in a vertical configuration, but the point of being
able
to do this is so you can position the camera with some support where you
otherwise could not position it at all with a conventional tripod due to the
terrain, vegetation and the myriad other obstacles to be found in the field.
Macro
photography in the field is rife with compromises  - you can either get some
support
from the Benbo - sufficient in my opinion - make the shot hand held or don't
bother
even trying because you cant get into position with a normal tripod.

One could also ask which Benbo you saw?  Was it a trekker, the smallest model,
or
the very hefty Mk 5 which weighs 8Kg?

Giles