RE: [OM] (OT) High Mountain photos

Subject: RE: [OM] (OT) High Mountain photos
From: mstoesz@xxxxxxxxxxx (Michael Stoesz)
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 21:31:35 -0600
>At 12:36 PM 8/25/1999 +0200, Artur you wrote in part:
>
>> My original question was whether POL filter stops enough UV rays or you
>>have to use it combined with a UV filter. Does anybody have an opinion on
>>that?

Here is my 2 cents worth:

I live and work in a mountain basin at 7,200 above sea level and photograph
most often with Sensia 100 but also Provia 100, Astia 100, and Velvia in
both 35mm and 120.  There is a definite excess of UV at this altitude and I
most commonly have on either a 81a or 812 filter by Tiffen.  Other brands
may or may not use the same numbers.  The 81a is very slightly yellow and
the 812 very slightly magenta/pink.  Both work very well and when
photographing wild flowers where acuraccy of color and tone in the yellow
and (most difficult) white is concerned I usually photograph the flower
with both in turn and pick the most accurate later.

If you chose Astia for a film, less filtration if required from my experience.
I for instance found Astia to be the film of choice on a trip to Scotland
where it warmed up the landscape to the neutral point.

Therefore my choices would be: Astia with Sky 1a or 81a, Provia with 812,
E100VS with 81a or 812, Velvia with 81a or sky 1a, Sensia 100 with 812.

My experience with the E100VS is limited to less than 4 roll and none on
yellow or white flowers, but my early impressions are favorable.

Best Wishes, Mike

Mike Stoesz, VP
Rainbow Photography Inc.
213 Grand Av.