RE: [OM] (OT) High Mountain photos

Subject: RE: [OM] (OT) High Mountain photos
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 08:40:42 -0500
At 12:36 PM 8/25/1999 +0200, Artur you wrote in part:

> My original question was whether POL filter stops enough UV rays or you
>have to use it combined with a UV filter. Does anybody have an opinion on
>that?

My experience is that a POL filter will cut UV *haze*, but it will deepen
shadows where the film picks up UV that you cannot see with your eyes as
you set up the shot.  If you don't care about the shadows, use the the POL
to your heart's content.  If the shadows are significant (always so
difficult with slide film!), stick with the UV filter.  I think it is
generally regarded as bad technique to use both together (though many a
photo has been taken that way).

Doris Fang had a good suggestion when discussion of POL filters came up
about a year ago: shoot brackets with different gradients of polarization.
I would do this by settling on a basic exposure with full polarization,
shooting the frame, then switching to manual (if you are using a non-manual
body) and shooting several shots where you back off the full polarization
effect.

If I couldn't take both, I'd leave the UV filter at home, although I can't
imagine not taking both.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA