RE: [OM] (OT) High Mountain photos

Subject: RE: [OM] (OT) High Mountain photos
From: "Chmielewski, Artur" <Artur.Chmielewski@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 12:36:54 +0200
Hallo everybody!

Thank you very much for all your hints.
Here follows my comments grouped into several categories:

1. OM-1 instead of spare OM-4: I totally agree with all of you! If I had
OM-1 (or OM-3) I would take one. Unfortunately it's almost impossible to
find an OM-1 in reasonable condition in Poland. OM-3 Ti is overpriced too
much for me... :-(

2. Tripod:
        a) I'm going to shot after sunset and before sunrise a lot. The
early morning- and late evening light is the best one, especially in
mountains.
        b) How to stop shaking hands w/o tripod after an exhaustive ascent ?
        c) I usually try to use the optimal aperture of the lens I'm
shooting with. It's rather 8-16 than 2-4.

3. Faster/another film: I love Velvia!!! Recently I shot a couple of E100VS
rolls and I was rather disappointed. The poster-like colors are too vivid
for me. Placing (accidentally) a small red-colored flower in the frame will
grab all your attention to that flower watching a developed slide - it
"screams" from the light box! E100VS is more grainy than Velvia in my
opinion. Etc., etc.

4. 35/2: this is my best lens shooting people. If I had to choose between
28/2 and 35/2 I would take 35/2. I'm taking 18/3.5 for scenic landscapes.
People photographed with 28/2 are often "too wide" (i.e. you have really get
*into* scene, what isn't always possible).

5. longer lenses: I fully agree. If I had 100/2, I would take one. It's very
rare lens here in Poland. I have bad experience using 200/4 - almost all
shots were not sharp due to camera shakes. I don't know - is the lens really
to light or I cant use it properly? (I don't generally take unsharp photos).
What do you think about Zuiko 135/2.8?

Best regards and I appreciate the furher discussion of the topics mentioned
above.

Artur

PS: My original question was whether POL filter stops enough UV rays or you
have to use it combined with a UV filter. Does anybody have an opinion on
that?