[OM] Re: Salt water

Subject: [OM] Re: Salt water
From: Paul Tierney <paul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 12:00:41 +0100
>From: George Conklin <gconklin@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [OM] Salt water??
>
>My sailor friend took the camera, lenses and winder to a professional
>camera service in New York.  They said the pail of water treatment is an
>urban myth.  They use alcohol.  The water in the alcohol dilutes/dissolves
>salt ... and it dries much faster.

1. Which alcohol? There's ethyl,methyl,propyl, buyl, then iso-propyl, iso
butyl etc, etc. They all have different properties.
2. There is no water in alcolhol. They must using some liquid which is a
mixture of water and an alcohol.

Some alcohols are very powerful solvents and will quite definitely kill
your camera. Pure water, or at least tap water will at least remove the
salt which is the main corrosive component in sea water. Some alcolhols
will also assist the rapid drying process.

- www.modus.co.uk - web design and publishing, domain names & mailing services.