RE: [OM] Re: Salt water - all was not lost

Subject: RE: [OM] Re: Salt water - all was not lost
From: "Chip Stratton" <cstrat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 19:20:00 -0500
My 24mm f/2.8 that was dunked in the sea just came back from the local
'Mom&Pop' camera repair shop. They charged me $52.00 to
disassemble the lens, remove the rust that had already formed on the aperture
blades and perhaps other parts, and clean the glass
elements - turnaround was 2 days. As far as I can tell now, they did a good
job! They were worried when I brought it in that rust
might already (after 5 days) have pinholed the very thin aperture blades, but
that had not happened. If I look closely, I can see
very light pitting of the blades, but no visible oxidation, and the glass looks
mint.

My only lingering concern is that much slower corrosion of metal parts could
continue, and at the same time shed particles onto the
glass. Only time will tell, but $52.00 compared to the $175.00+ it would take
to replace the lens seems a fair gamble.

Now, if only I can get good news from John H. on the 4T!

Chip Stratton
cstrat@xxxxxxxxx