Re: [OM] (OT) High Mountain photos

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) High Mountain photos
From: "George M. Anderson" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 09:33:41 -0700
Artur;

"Chmielewski, Artur" wrote:

> Hallo everybody!
>
> Thank you very much for all your hints.
> Here follows my comments grouped into several categories:
>
> 1. OM-1 instead of spare OM-4: I totally agree with all of you! If I had
> OM-1 (or OM-3) I would take one. Unfortunately it's almost impossible to
> find an OM-1 in reasonable condition in Poland. OM-3 Ti is overpriced too
> much for me... :-(

You may want to consider an OM-2000.  Then again, the 4Ts will still
fire at 1/60 and with Velvia, that's an f/16 shot in daylight, probably
closer to f/11 up there, I dunno.  Take and note several 'typical'
readings in case the batteries do fail and you have to rely on 1/60.

> 2. Tripod:

I would not leave the tripod behind.

SNIP

> 4. 35/2: this is my best lens shooting people. If I had to choose between
> 28/2 and 35/2 I would take 35/2. I'm taking 18/3.5 for scenic landscapes.
> People photographed with 28/2 are often "too wide" (i.e. you have really get
> *into* scene, what isn't always possible).

I would only leave one of these if you replace it with a long lens.

> 5. longer lenses: I fully agree. If I had 100/2, I would take one. It's very
> rare lens here in Poland. I have bad experience using 200/4 - almost all
> shots were not sharp due to camera shakes. I don't know - is the lens really
> to light or I cant use it properly? (I don't generally take unsharp photos).
> What do you think about Zuiko 135/2.8?

If you have a 135/2.8, take it instead of one of the wides.  (And a
Zuiko 2X if you've got it.)

One man's further opinions

George