[OM] RE: (OT) E100VS (was (OT) High Mountain photos)

Subject: [OM] RE: (OT) E100VS (was (OT) High Mountain photos)
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 08:41:41 -0500
At 12:36 PM 8/25/1999 +0200, Artur you wrote in part:

>3. Faster/another film: I love Velvia!!! Recently I shot a couple of E100VS
>rolls and I was rather disappointed. The poster-like colors are too vivid
>for me. Placing (accidentally) a small red-colored flower in the frame will
>grab all your attention to that flower watching a developed slide - it
>"screams" from the light box! E100VS is more grainy than Velvia in my
>opinion. Etc., etc.

Hmmm.  This puzzles me.  The E100VS delivered to me from Kodak processing
has been no more poster-like than Velvia, rather more subdued in fact, like
Velvia's sweet cousin, Provia.  If anything, the E100VS seemed slightly
more neutral even than Provia. "Grainy" is not a word I would associate
with any one of these films.  How was your film processed?

One thing I have noticed with both E100VS and Provia is that the first
light of dawn can come out overpoweringly yellow.  This used to be the
greatest light for Kodachrome, which would then seem blah at other,
"normal" times of the day.  I'm going to experiment with a blue correction
filter to see if this improves the color balance.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA