Re: [OM] Depth of field

Subject: Re: [OM] Depth of field
From: Shari Rose <srose@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 17:20:27 -0500
Goerge,

     I honestly don't know the details as to what this person was doing......
they weren't allowed to go into detail of the case.  From the way my friend
talked the guy was on the tracks and they were able to locate, prosecute and
fine
him.

To JH,

     Yes, you're right...I was wrong.  It wasn't government.  The railroads are
considered private property and the railroad themselves prosecuted the guy for
tresspassing.

     Sorry.

ClassicVW@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Shari Rose wrote:
>
> << A friend of  mine recently [who is a train engineer] turned in someone
> caught on the tracks his train was rolling on and the guy went to jail for 3
> yrs
> and fined $5,000.00 on top of that.  >>
>
> Richard Schaetzel asked:
>
>  >>Do I understand this right, you can be inprisoned in the USA for
> standing on the side of a railway track? <<
>
> IMO there HAD to be more to the story than just standing on or near the
> tracks.
> Either, 1.- It occurred on a military reservation or other sensitive spot,
> and/ or
> 2.- The person was there either committing another crime, or attempting to
> commit a crime.
> Perhaps Shari can enlighten us further....
> After all, it is not a "crime" to stand on or near RR tracks in the U.S.
> Most tracks are not fenced off, nor do they have warning signs stating to
> stay off them, in most places.
> It IS a crime to interfere with the train, however, and may involve Federal
> penalties.
>
> This _could_  involve, (OM content) standing there innocently trying to get a
> photo with your OM- whatever, and as the engineer sees you, he hits the
> emergency brakes. If they were able to catch you, they _might_ press some
> charge... but you won't do 3 years in jail unless you were a paroled criminal
> or something.
>
>         George S.

    Shari