Re: [OM] Depth of field

Subject: Re: [OM] Depth of field
From: Shari Rose <srose@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 01:24:11 -0500
Warren,

    Although this is a very interesting thread and am learning
alot.....I hope this is just an example and you're not really thinking
of doing this.  Just in case......one word of warning........ if
you're caught by the right person while you're on or near those tracks
you could be arrested and prosecuted for tress-passing on government
property.
    If found guilty, that can put you in jail for a couple years and
fined a pretty hefty fee on top of that imprisonment.  A friend of
mine recently [who is a train engineer] turned in someone caught on
the tracks his train was rolling on and the guy went to jail for 3 yrs
and fined $5,000.00 on top of that.
    I know I'm new here and probably shouldn't have said
anything.....but thought this might save someone (you?) who is
thinking of doing this a lot of hassle, heart-ache and $$ for "just a
picture" although it would be awesome.  :)

    Ok, now going back to lurking mode.  :)

WKato@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I just some posts on depth of field and had some (actually one) of my own
> questions. Say you are standing in a middle of a set of train tracks, with
> the locomotive headed toward you. You want to have maximum depth of field so
> that the train won't hurt your Olympus equipment and your 28mm lens set at
> f16 because you want it far away from you when you snap the shutter. Now
> without referring to a hyperfocal chart or the scale on the lens is there any
> way to pick a spot on the train tracks that will be the hyperfocal point? Is
> is halfway to the horizon? Or maybe a third of the way to the horizon?  Or is
> my question unanswerable because I've left out some variables?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Warren

    Shari