Re: Infinity and F-stop RE: [OM] Monopod & ball head

Subject: Re: Infinity and F-stop RE: [OM] Monopod & ball head
From: Dave Haynie <dhaynie@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 15:51:06 -0400
On Tue, 04 May 1999 11:09:15 -0700, "George M. Anderson" <george@whitneygalle
ry.com> jammed all night, and by sunrise was overheard remarking:

> Now the flange marks indicate
> acceptable focus from 5m to infinity, same as F/16 above!  Very useful
> to use this method for max depthe of field. Method is called
> 'hyperfocal.'

Yup, a very useful technique. And it goes back a long, long way -- I have
a German SLR, circa 1949-1950, with hyperfocal marks on its "Carl Zeiss
Jena" lens.

It occurred to me, upon reading the original post and thinking of
offering info on this, if this another thing lost in the world of
autofocus. Now, clearly, when you make each lens a computer peripheral,
the full depth of field characteristics for each lens could easily be
supplied in the lens-to-body-computer interface. But I wonder if any
autofocus camera is clever enough even to say to itself -- "hey self, I'm
at infinity, but I just decided to set f22, so maybe I really want to set
the focus itself to 10ft, so I get everyting from 5ft-oo in focus."

Any ideas? Not that you always want this, either, but in the case in
which autofocus is the right answer, maximized depth of field probably is
too. Could this be done right on compucameras, or is it another useful
feature lost to the advance of easy photography?
--
Dave Haynie  | V.P. Technology, Met@box AG |  http://www.metabox.de
Be Dev #2024 | NB851 Powered! | Amiga 2000, 3000, 4000, PIOS One