Re: Infinity and F-stop RE: [OM] Monopod & ball head

Subject: Re: Infinity and F-stop RE: [OM] Monopod & ball head
From: "George M. Anderson" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 11:09:15 -0700
Barry;

Look at the focus ring and the lens flange. The flange has F/#s on it,
focus ring distances.  If you focus on infinity, there will be some
distance in the foregroud after which objects out to infinity will be in
focus.  Eg:  Zuiko 50/1.8: when focussed to infinity with lens aperture
set at F/8, acceptable focus is from 10m to infinity. But if aperture is
set to F/16, the close limit moves to 5m. But, look what happens if you
set the focus to 10m and aper to F/8.  Now the flange marks indicate
acceptable focus from 5m to infinity, same as F/16 above!  Very useful
to use this method for max depthe of field. Method is called
'hyperfocal.'

Hope this helps.

George