[OM] Re: Infinity and F-stop

Subject: [OM] Re: Infinity and F-stop
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 12:52:19 -0500
At 10:29 AM 5/4/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Could someone, in plain english, explain to me the significance of F
>Stop once you're focused at infinity. For instance, if I'm shooting
>the horizon (focused at infinity), what difference does the F stop
>make beyond the obvious relationship to shutter speed?
>
>BBB

I don't speak plain English, but that never stops me. <g>  It doesn't
matter what f stop you choose if you are focused on infinity and infinity
is what you want in focus, unless one stop on your lens happens to be
sharper than another.

But I can think of only one instance in which I deliberately focused on
infinity.  I was shooting a 200mm + 2X TC shot of a sunset over water,
couldn't focus with this combination anyway, and said to myself if I focus
on infinity at least the sun will be as sharp as possible. Ordinarily I'm
trying to maximize depth of field from some uncertain point in the
foreground to infinity, and I use the depth of field markings on the lens
barrel to make sure that the infinity mark is within the mark of the stop I
plan to use.  The smaller the stop, the greater this depth of field.

Have I understood your question?

Joel