[OM] Lens fungus

Subject: [OM] Lens fungus
From: "Arnab Kumar Banerjee" <arnabkb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 20:00:31 PDT
Hi gang,
I have a Soligor 85-135 zoom with an OM mount. It's an excellent
portrait lens and I had this lens for more than 10 years. The last
roll I shot with this lens was in Feb of this year and the pictures
came out quite sharp as usual. But I received an unpleasant and rude
shock when I saw the results of the recent roll I shot with this lens
a couple of weeks back. All blurred and fuzzy. I was horrified to see
that the lens had a noticeable fungus growth. I had no fungus
problems with any of my lenses so far and thus this sudden fungus
development has me worried about the health of my other Zuikos. I
have tons of questions on this issue and hoped this group would be
able to shed some light. Here goes?
1. How fast can fungus develop in a lens? Is it possible for a full-
fledged fungus growth in one month (as happened to my lens)? Isn't it
supposed to be a gradual process?
2. What are the first signs of fungus developing on a lens? How can I
tell?
3. Is there any way of freezing/arresting the fungus growth at early
stages? If yes, is it more advisable to freeze the growth or get the
lens cleaned?
4. Is it necessary to service a lens periodically to eradicate the
possibility of fungus growth? If yes, what should be the ideal time
interval?
5. Does fungus attack camera bodies also? If yes, which parts?
6. In the event of the camera getting wet in a sudden downpour, or
condensation forming on the equipment when suddenly bringing the
camera from sub-zero temperatures into room temperature, what's to be
done?
7. The most important question- How do I prevent fungus growth on my
beloved Zuikos? Among the options I have been advised-
&#61608; Keep lenses in a container (airtight?) with silica gel.
&#61608; Routinely expose equipment to sunlight, keeping these sessions
brief.
&#61608; Use a fan to blow air across your equipment periodically. A flow of
air across cameras, lenses, and other gear is supposed to prevent
fungus growth. True??
I think that's enough questions in one mail. Would really appreciate
all your feedback and thoughts on this.
Waiting to hear from you all,
Arnab.
ON, Canada.