[OM] FYI: Three Zuiko Lenses plus T32 in Baltimore

Subject: [OM] FYI: Three Zuiko Lenses plus T32 in Baltimore
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 22:32:43 -0400
Beside the four lenses and the T32 now known to you, the store had had an OM-4
with a 50mm/1.4 MC lens to sell before I announced the availability of the
lenses and the flash.

I was the one who picked up the OM-4 with the 50mm/1.4 for $175 on Tuesday.  The
reason I am writing this is to let you know what I found in the lens and the
results of a test roll of print film.

After having the front element of the lens removed of finger marks by Carroll
Conway, I had another look at the lens on Thursday and found a couple of black
spots inside.  One of them is larger than the other.  They are not in the
center, but are located to the side.

In order to see if the body is functioning properly and the lens performance, I
shot one roll of Kodak Gold 100 this morning.  The first half roughly with the
lens just purchased and the other half with my spotless 50mm/1.8 (M-system SC)
lens.  I did not think seriously of how the specs of black might affect, so I
shot blooming flowers in my neighborhood.  The result was that I could not
detect anything different with the 50mm/1.4 from the 4x6 prints.  Carroll Conway
thinks that the black specs are paint chips from the inside walls of the lens.
He suggested that perhaps if I shoot a blank white paper with the aperture wide
open at close range, the specs might show up as a shadow.

What do you think?

To those who purchased the lenses from Cooper's particularly across the borders
or the pond, you might find your lenses in similar conditions to the lens I
bought since all of these came from a 70-year-old man who traded in his OM
equipment for a new Canon outfit.  I suggest that you pass through a roll of
film first before getting panicky.

Since my largest print size I sell from 35mm is 20"x24", I am going to see if I
can demonstrate a potential problem with the black specs, but I expect that
those of you who purchased these lenses or those who buy used lenses with dust
and black particles in them do not have to worry about much as long as your
prints are relatively small.  I did a few frames on my slide film with the new
and old 50mm lenses as well, so I might be able to find out something on Monday
when I have the roll processed.

Carroll Conway said to me today that another salesman at the store sold the
shift lens to Olaf Greve in about four minutes, but it took him an hour to
figure out how to ship the lens to Holland.

Tomoko Yamamoto
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/