Re: [OM] Lens fungus

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens fungus
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 00:27:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Barry B. Bean wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Apr 1999 09:59:02 -0400 (EDT), *- DORIS FANG -* wrote:
>
> >   Check out Kodak's idea of a tropical cabinet, since it is the
> >lowest-cost way I know of to keep the equipment mold-free
> Do tell.

  I do not know the URL offhand, so I'll describe it...
It is a standard-looking cabinet with shelves on the inside
and double doors.
  What you do is take a drill thingie and make holes small
enough so that no lenses fall through...about silver dollar
size...on the bottom, all the shelves, and the top.
Install small lightbulb fixture at the bottom (I advise two,
so if one bulb goes out & you're not there, you still have
 a back-up). Put low power bulbs in them (30W).
  Your lenses should go in there without being in bags or cases.
Kodak says the bulbs dry out the air and heat it. This warm, dry air
rises through the cabinet via the holes and rises out the top.
Molds find it an unfriendly environment. I
have never used it, but a friend who lives in a moist, quasi
tropical climate built one, uses it and has never had a problem
with mold (something common in the area). Do not use bulbs of
too much power, or the heat may melt lubricants (or worse,
start a fire or something).
  Of course, in my case, I'd have to buy three armoires...

                                     *= Doris Fang =*